Tuesday, April 8, 2008

…BoTtOmS uP




In the middle of the day, enjoying my off, I received a call. A Chinese teacher, telling me that the parents of my student invited us, all teachers to a dinner. She asked me if I would be available in the evening and told me it’s okay if I would not come. I responded that there’s no problem. She added that she’s going to meet me at the school at 5:00 pm. But later in that afternoon, she texted me that parents moved the time for they are working, so she’s going to pick me up at 5:30. I was sleeping when I received the message, though.

The time came and we went to the restaurant together. It’s just five minutes walk from our school. We arrived there earlier and we proceeded to the reserved section. I still have time to take photos around. We had a great chat before they arrived. A little while later, our student arrived and we asked her where her parents were. She replied they're at the parking lot. Then they came and started ordering. Both of her parents can’t speak English, as expected, good that my colleagues were there to translate for me.

Food was served a short while afterwards. Cheers and bottoms up, the father invited me as he gave me a glass full of beer. I had no choice. It’s a Chinese practice to drink first before eating and we’re not used to that. We usually drink in the mid of eating or even after. I felt something strange inside. I knew it’s because of the beer. Then we started savoring the mouth-watering food, absolutely delicious. I was actually sweating due to the beer and ate no rice yet. My colleagues asked me if I was alright, I just pointed my stomach and they understood what I meant and I asked for rice.

Cheers and bottoms up came every now and then. My colleagues explained to my student’s father that I am still young and not used to drinking. He was expecting that foreigners are good at drinking because of what he has experienced with a German guy. What a pity for me!

I was stuffed. I ate a lot to somehow reduce the effect of the beer. Everybody also was. The food really is very tasty. As a whole, Chinese food is so luscious. My head is falling, I felt. I still have one glass left. The father wanted me to finish it before we would go. I slowly consume it and ate some more. At long last, I made it. Then we left. I really was 85% drunk. If we stayed longer and ordered more beer, I might not be able to go home alone. I was just fortunate that he understood. And I was very happy because they were truly friendly. Thank you for the bang-up dinner.

No comments: