Tuesday, April 8, 2008

…LoNeLiNeSs

The song, Shape of my Heart by Backstreet Boys says, loneliness is tragical. Is it? Why? How? Is it that serious? But is it normal to be lonely sometimes? Are you lonely? How do you fight loneliness? What do you do to overcome it?

Many of my Chinese friends here, they can’t stand my situation. They kept asking me whether I’m lonely or not. Even my students did. They said I’m alone, the only Filipino in the city, though there are around nine foreigners, but we don’t have chance to meet because they’re working on weekdays, I am not. I am working on weekends, they’re not. Only recently that I met them through an English corner established by the English lovers here. I said I usually go to Hefei, the capital of the province once in a while to meet my Filipino friends and some other foreigners. I added, as long as there’s internet, there’s no problem especially there’s music. I wouldn’t feel lonely. I am also praying all the time to overcome it. And I proudly said to them I did. With this situation for more than six months, I have lived a normal life. I just watch TV, movies, listen to music, surf the internet to amuse myself, I told them. They were not so convinced because if they were in my shoes, they said, they wouldn’t be able to make it.

Frankly speaking, I also feel lonely. I am lonely most often. But I don’t show it. I have no choice. I have to tell myself I am not lonely ,or else, I won’t be able to stay this long here. I have to be very strong to fight this loneliness, this boredom, so as to live a normal life. And here I am, still kicking. I have fought a good fight against it. I am no longer new to this situation.

Well friends, though we, as gregarious beings, need to be with others, but there are times that we have to stand on our own feet. There are moments that we're alone. Are you ready for that? Are you prepared by that time? If it happens, what would you do to amuse yourself?

No comments: